Monday, September 19, 2005

A career as a PR?

There should always be a backup plan in case the one going on right now fails. I’ve been giving that some thoughts and I asked myself, why not? If I didn’t make it through medical school, at least there’s something else that I might have interest in.
I was forced to become the PR for the IMU Cares Charity Taekwondo Championship held in August. It wasn't too bad. Didn't mean I did a good job per se but still it was ok for a beginner. I had my first article published in the Malaysian Today, the 16-18Sept. edition of the paper. It sounded badly written as it was edited by someone. The whole flow was almost lost. Didn’t sound like me but anyway, these things do happen. They have to edit it so that it sounds more appropriate.
So what’s actually Public Relations? Public relations encompasses a variety of marketing tactics that strengthen your credibility, enhance your image, develop goodwill or influence public opinion. These tactics, such as speeches, special events, newsletters, annual reports and news releases, are targeted to an audience. P.R. involves communicating who you are, what you do, and how you benefit your customers and the community.
People often confuse PR with publicity. Publicity is actually part of PR. Other components of PR include organizing events to draw more attention towards the company, prepare annual reports, fact sheets etc., make charitable contributions. Basically, it covers a lot of things, but it all draws down to making the company of organization you’re working at more well know by the public or even just the targeted population.
PR as a career? Why not? Sounds intersting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home